Trip to the Mama Land



4 Inverness Street
London, NW1 7HJ

Located on the catwalk of Camden Town, Ma Petite Jamaica is one of the new editions to the North London restaurant scene, offering an authentic taste of tropics.




Beach hut in its appearance, the décor is vibrant, lively, and definitely inspired by the laid back 'irie' Caribbean attitude. 

I was welcomed by a friendly bartender, and waiting staff who directed me to my table. I’d already had a peak at the menu online ahead of time, and had decided that I was in a ‘Jerk’ mood.

Having missed happy hour, I decided on a mocktail. Although it’s always cocktail o’clock for me, their mocktail list appealed to me more that evening.

In no time at all, drinks had arrived and for once – I was really pleased with my choice. If you’re after a soft, fruity pallet teaser, Raspberry Ripple should be your ‘go to’.

Now... time to choose mains. Unfortunately unrepresentative of true Caribbean culture, some caribbean restaurants have developed the tendency to provide dead end answers when discussing the availability of items on their menu; such as  ‘No’ or ‘Only’. For example:


Me: ‘Can I have jerk chicken and white rice please?’

Waiter: ‘No jerk chicken’

Me: ‘Ok can I have Stew fish instead please?’

Waiter: ‘No stew fish left’

Me: ‘Alright, well let me get a lamb pattie and festival’

Waiter: ‘Only veg and chicken left’


You now see my point? 

Not only do I often leave without what I really desired, but also leaves me questioning what on earth happened to good old fashioned customer service.

But I digress, back to Ma Petite Jamaica - The starter menu really had me spoilt for choice but I was in the mood for a soup type starter, something warm and hearty with lots of nutritional value – see I’m getting my life in check! I ordered the Chick Pea and Pumpkin Curry with Roti and Jerk Fish with Rice and Peas as a main. As a proud Grenadian, one of our delicacies is Roti. We eat it both in the conventional way, with filling, and broken up into smaller pieces and dipped in what would otherwise be the filling. It’s usually eaten as a starter or just a casual dinner meal.

I was really looking forward to this combination but when I saw the waitress walk back over to me, I already knew where this was going. “Sorry, the chef said we don’t have roti. Would you like rice with it”. So at this point, I’m disappointed. Very, very disappointed. With rice already coming with my main, I opt for sweet potato wedges instead.

It arrived pretty quickly, but still in my feelings about the roti. The curry was super creamy and coconutty, infused with caribbean spices - just what the doctor ordered. As the menu suggested, roti was definitely the perfect accompaniment for this dish but no point crying over spilt milk; the sweet potato wedges were very soft and easily ‘dunkable’.

I wasn't as impressed with the my main, unfortunately. The fish tasted overcooked, and really chewy. The jerk sauce, however was flavoursome and I could see how it would Bang on chicken. My friend had Curry Goat and rice, didn’t speak once, and cleared his plate. Guess I’ll be ordering that next time.
Time was getting on and didn’t really fancy dessert (for once in my life) so we picked up the bill and bounced.


This was a definite Chew – a friendly Caribbean restaurant that despite the hick-ups in the beginning, really impressed me. Returning is for definite solely to make that Chick Pea and Pumpkin Curry, with Roti love story happen!

Overall WOM Rating: CHEWS

Can.x 

No comments: