Kua 'Aina Mami

Kua 'Aina
40 Goodge Street, W1T 2QP
So for the next 3 weeks, it’s burgers only on the menu in aid of #Nationalburgermonth and what better way to get things started than to head to one of the worlds most picturesque paradises, Hawaii.

 
Located on a quiet side road of a busy junction, the restaurant had tables outside with diners already getting their after work cocktails in. We were warmly welcomed as the gentleman ushered us to a booth at the back.

Coconut milkshake
Pina Colada
Kui Aina, a small Hawaiian restaurant decorated with vibrant paintings and tropical looking prints. It offers an open kitchen with a ‘rattley’ board in front of it; you know those boards that people bang on at carnival? Yeah it was like that. Not the largest restaurant but does have a downstairs for big groups or private bookings. Our waiter approached us after being seated and took our drinks order. Now I know you’re probably thinking, why does Candace keep talking in 3rd person, I came with a great WOM friend Rebekah, Interior Architect and founder of @BlissfulTales (instagram).

For drinks, I had a Pina Colada and Rebekah, a coconut milkshake which was served in a milk bottle. We both chose drinks that had an exotic element but unfortunately the taste didn’t follow suit. I find that the drinks menus in smaller restaurants match up in terms of options but fall short on flavour. Both our drinks were disappointing and especially based on the type of drink we ordered, we were expecting something that took us straight to the tropics; they were bearable but not stand out.

As an ode to Jamelia, I ordered a Mahi Mahi sandwich with lettuce, added portobello mushrooms, grilled peppers and a side of sweet potato fries as my main. Rebekah went with the ‘Huli Huli’ Chicken sandwich with additional avocado and grilled halloumi, also with a side of sweet potato fries.
Mahi Mahi Sanwhich
By this stage, we had been assigned a new waitress, Sarah who was new and very passionate about her job (bless). We’d customised our sandwiches and Sarah did a great job of explaining what ingredients would go best with our sandwiches based on common threads and personal favourites. After the decision making process, she said “you’ve gone for great options and why not, it’s nearly the weekend”. It was Monday! LOL! That, absolutely finished us!

Huli Huli
Chicken Sandwich
Served in small baskets on warm wholemeal bread, both sandwiches were packed and as I lifted mine, some peppers fell out. Mahi Mahi is a fish find isn’t often on menus in the UK so was a refreshing change.

 It’s texture is a lot like tuna steak which I absolutely love however it was a little under seasoned for me.  Fish is such a delicacy that it’s key that’s it’s not over seasoned but I little more paprika, thyme and even some garlic wouldn’t have gone a miss.

Sweet potato fries
Course I had a bite of Rebekah’s! Which I must say, I preferred. Not the biggest fan of avocado but the combo was delicious, not to mention that halloumi and I are best friends. I would definitely have this sandwich if I came back. The sweet potato fries were salted as well which cut through that potentially overbearing taste and were extremely moreish.

Chocolate chip waffle
A chocolate chip waffle with maple syrup for dessert please. The waffle was soft but missed that sweet crunch on the outside. The milk chocolate chip and maple syrup were a nice combination and enabled me to leave feeling satisfied.


For somewhere based on Hawaiian flavours and dining, it does lack in authenticity however makes up for in customer service. All the staff were extremely accommodating and such assets to the restaurant. It is somewhere I would come back to but not in a rush (especially as I’ve got another 2 weeks of burgers only). I’d recommend it to tourists who are interested in tasting London's cultured food scene or groups of teenagers who want to expand their pallets. A decent find!

Verdict? SPITS/CHEWS :-|

No comments: