Soul Food Sundays ...


328 Malcolm X Boulevard
Harlem, New York
10027
Like most "urban" areas of New York City, gentrification is at an all time high.

Areas of Brooklyn have changed their look and feel, and similarly to Harlem; they have both now become home to a much more diverse crowd. Rent rises mean Harlem natives are being forced out of their historical 'hoods' into more redeveloped areas, the same goes for Brooklyn - but that’s a post in itself.

Investment in quirky pop up shops, more bars, and lounges have transformed these "dangerous areas" into "edgy" hot spots making them more appealing to tourists and NYC newbies. As you know, Can is still in London but one of our sisters came out to visit me and thanks to landmarks such as Sylvias Soul Food there are still remnants of the old school historical Harlem I could show her.

Arriving at Sylvias, we were shocked to see that the entire out front eating area was full of diners as well as a crowd of around 9 people waiting in line. Busyness is always a good sign, and with great NY weather, we had no complaints. 
Rum Punch & Fruit Punch

Some 20 minutes later, we were finally seated despite constantly nudging the waiters to inform them a table was free, don’t you hate that?
We then waited a further 20 minutes for a menu.


We all know WOM do not compromise of service, so as good as the food may be, service always needs to supersede. The waiters were particularly rushed of their feet that day - perhaps it was because it was a Sunday, someone called in sick, but either way I wasn't bothered, I just wanted to eat.
Cornbread
Finally we were handed a menu from a very pleasant looking and well-mannered gentleman. We scanned the menu and my friend knew exactly what she wanted – infamous Chicken & Waffles with a side of macaroni & cheese. I couldn't see a fish option with waffles so in true Jamelia fashion, I asked to customise the menu and have catfish and waffles or shrimp and waffles. The gentleman let me down softly and informed that the menu couldn’t be customised - worth a shot!

After briefly sulking, I opted for the Fried Catfish, which comes with two sides: I chose macaroni & cheese of course and garlic mashed potato.

For drinks I had virgin fruit punch and my friend a rum punch. We later enjoyed the sweet taste of homemade lemonade - yum

Mr Camera Man
Whilst we waited for our mains we were brought over warm cornbread. Now, a lot of restaurants or soul food restaurants serve you this once seated and I love me some cornbread. But this one. It legitimately tasted like a real cake! As in, if you baked me this and applied icing I would be none the wiser. So sweet and smooth. Cornbreads signature elements is the slightly rough corn 'bits' which add texture and ultimately characterise the delicacy. Sylvia didn't dismiss this however toned it down to allow for a less filling yet satisfying starter.


Whilst enjoying this, I was nothing short of fascinated and captivated by the buzzing environment. Luckily we managed to grab a seat right at the front of the outdoor seating area. I noticed an older man with a very interesting gadget almost comparable in size to a microwave. After some studying I realised it was an old school camera. Dressed to kill in his orange suit and snakeskin shoes I had to ask for a picture. After serenading me with a jazz/rap freestyle, I managed to take the picture above. To accompany this, old school jazz and blues was playing creating the perfect mood for the food which was about to go down!

Fried Catfish, Macaroni & Cheese and Mashed Potato.
Chicken and Waffles
My food arrived and it all made sense. The combination of flavours: the salty Fried Catfish contrasted to the smooth mash with an interesting garlic slant. The wholesome Mac and Cheese made for the best meal I have enjoyed so far. I love southern food so can now confidently say this is the spot! Of course I also stole some of my guests waffle, which was perfectly crispy coated with a soft pillow like inside and not a word, was exchanged whilst we enjoyed our meals.



Although service was not at its best (although the waiter did try to make up for it), this family owned authentic soul food restaurant is most certainly a must visit if you are visiting New York City.


The story behind the late owner 'Sylvia' is one of great determination courage and perseverance. I love this restaurant and everything it stands for. I wouldn't imagine having guests and spending Sunday anywhere else...


Thank you for having us!



VERDICT: CHEWS :)

Overall WOM Rating: 4 out of 5 kisses


No comments: