Five Guys and A Girl


71 Upper Street, 
Islington, London 
N1 0NY

For years I have been particularly envious of those able to eat from 'The best burger place in America' Five Guys.


The aroma can be smelt from far and wide, made even more attractive by the very American branding with signature and eye grabbing brand colours.

The concept it simple, straightforward and worth the wait; although the price - I must admit is a little bit of a stretch. With a Burger, Cajun Chips and a drink totalling almost £15 it is tempting to complain, and feel cheated in comparison to alternatives such as McDonalds but once you taste their burgers and chips it is clear that there simply is no competition.

Melted Cheese
Veggie Burger
Feeling adventurous and my mouth watering with the smell of the burgers being flipped, i decided to take a chance on the Veggie Burger.

Typically veggie burgers comprise of tofu, mushrooms and other ingredients blended to mimic the texture of a beef burger. Something i really despise. If I wanted something which 'tasted' like meat and looked like a burger I wouldn't be going out of my way to avoid the stuff. Needless to say, when i learned that the burger was grilled veggies with melted cheese in a burger bun; I almost jumped for joy. To match this I ordered a side of hand cut cajun chips, fried in their signature peanut oil and a bottle of water.

You are given your order number and invited to walk around to collect your meal from the counter once your number is called.
Cajun Fries
I have a thing for simplicity, so i was was intrigued by the sight of a perfectly coordinated team flipping burgers, layering toppings and popping on top burger buns all in perfect timing with great synergy. It was easy to trace the lifecycle of my burger as it was the only one missing the infamous Five Guys actual burger. When it was ready i was handed it in an unbranded brown paper bag. The burger was wrapped in plain foil and the chips dumped in a paper cup with extra fries spilled into the bag - so NY!


The chips tasted guilt free and not too far from Nandos peri peri chips which i adore. The burger... AMAZING! The veggies had a slightly charcoal, barbecue, scrumptious taste and the cheese set the entire combination off the wall. The water was begrudgingly almost £2 and to be completely honest i wish i fully committed to this meal and got a big fat coke.

Will I be back? absolutely! I returned the following day to get exactly the same meal. Leaving an unexpected dent in my pocket, I was satisfied and full for the rest of the day.

With presence in Islington, Covent Garden and White City Westfields do yourself a favour and find out what all the fuss is about.

Jam x













No comments: