Every'ting' Irie!

16 The High Street,
Ealing
W5 5DB
So it's a Saturday, time for a bi-monthly catch up with some girlfriends. The weather outside is cold, miserable and on an empty stomach I too was feeling the exact same way.

Stuck on where to eat, being the foodie of the group I suggested we try out Turtle Bay following a recommendation from Alex of All4Thoughts.  


This Caribbean restaurant sat neatly on the strip in Ealing Broadway and as you walk in, you're immediately taken 'back ah yard'. The dim lighting and soft reggae music is brought together with fairy lights and rustic container walls (reminiscent of a Jerk pan) to tease in a taste of the Caribbean. 

In fantasy, I was at a beach front restaurant overlooking the Caribbean ocean, with the sound of soft waves lapping against white golden sand. In reality, I was freezing my butt off in thigh high boots, a big winter jacket and leather gloves in West London!


Drinks
I had the Coconut and Pineapple Punch. It was charming, and understandably milky however, not very fruity; an enjoyable and pleasant pallet cleanse nonetheless.


Starters
Jerk Pot Pepper
Prawns
I was spoilt for choice as there was a fair share of fish options, but typical me, opted for the 'Pepper Pot Prawns'. I’m proud to say this is one of the best food decisions I have ever made – “If it ain’t broken don’t fix it” right?

The Pepper Prawns imitate the 'Pepper Shrimp' you can purchase out and about in Jamaica. Well seasoned and still in their shell, they are cushioned on top of flat bread which soaks up the ‘Jerk gravy’. The dish was garnished with spring onions to enhance flavour and add to the presentation. Despite the shrimp shells being a little tricky to get off, they were worth the hassle.



Mains
Totally tempted by the ‘Jerk Glazed Salmon Fillet’ (sounds amazing I know), I decided to branch out a little and order the ‘Trini Curry Fish’. On the seafood front, this dish included salmon, prawns, squid and white fish. Flavour wise, we’re talking coconut and sweet onion chutney partnered rice 'n' peas and flatbread; obviously I ordered a side of plantain.

Trini Curry Fish
This plate was like nothing I’d ever tasted before! The sauce was smooth but had a spicy edge; alternate mouthfuls presented the odd surprise kick of flavour – sounds like a Caribbean man to me! The Rice 'n' Peas were…. ok. Doesn’t quite make the cut when it comes to authenticity (my grandma does make mean rice n peas) however it was a fair attempt. The plantain however, topped everything off. Usually at Caribbean restaurants, you can expect four slices of plantain for £2. Here, I was given a bowl full of sweet plantain fried to my perfection for only £2.35 - winning!


Overall Experience
Out of all the Caribbean restaurants I’ve visited, Turtle Bay is certainly among the top 5 in terms of overall experience. It was an excellent find and one I would definitely recommend and visit again. Most of the staff are friendly and attentive, the food came in good time and they have happy hour everyday from 5-7pm!

Although it doesn’t check all boxes if you are familiar with Caribbean cuisine and their specialties, often it’s worth pushing the boat out and trying something different.

Nans' cooking is always hard to top but this aside, Turtle Bay offers a diverse Caribbean themed dining experience infused with modern amenities.


WOM Spits and Chews

Chews:
  • Portion Size
  • Plantain!
  • Happy Hour
  • Open Kitchen - can see your food being prepared

Spits:
  • One of our waiting staff were slightly unpleasant
  • Traditional Dishes are not spot on 

Total for 1 cocktail, starter and main = £20.35


Verdict? Chews :)

Jam.x

No comments: